Harm In Your Job | Wrongful Termination | Employment Harms
As with landlord tenant law, the employer employee relationship includes a dynamic of leverage where employers have certain powers over their employees. Unfortunately, sometimes these powers are abused whether through retaliatory termination, whistleblower retaliation or sexual harassment.
Retaliation occurs when an employer punishes an employee for engaging in legally protected activity. Retaliation can include any negative job action, such as demotion, discipline, firing, salary reduction, or job or shift reassignment. But retaliation can also be more subtle.
The California Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA) (Gov. Code, § 12900 et seq.) makes it an unlawful employment practice for an employer, “because of . . . sex, . . . to harass an employee.” (Gov. Code, § 12940, subd. (j)(1).) Under FEHA, “`harassment’ because of sex includes sexual harassment, gender harassment, and harassment based on pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions.” (Gov. Code, § 12940, subd. (j)(4)(C).)
There are two theories upon which sexual harassment may be alleged: quid pro quo harassment, where a term of employment is conditioned upon submission to unwelcome sexual advances; and hostile work environment, where the harassment is sufficiently pervasive so as to alter the conditions of employment and create an abusive work environment. ( Mogilefsky v. Superior Court (1993) 20 Cal.App.4th 1409, 1414 [ 26 Cal.Rptr.2d 116].
If you have been:
- Wrongfully terminated from your job
- Harassed or retaliated against in connection with your job
- Lost wages due to wrongful actions of your employer
- Discriminated against due to age, nationality, orientation or gender
- Did not receive compensation or other benefits as promised
We believe strongly in protecting the rights of employees to work without fear of harm. We will fight to help you recover for any harm suffered related to your employment.
Recoverable damages include:
- Loss of income
- Emotional distress
- Punitive damages
Why hire HLG?
- We have a proven track record
- We work harder and smarter
- We have the resources to win
- We are known in the community by defense attorneys and insurance companies
- On average, we recover more for our clients than other law firms